Doximity – The Doctor’s LinkedIn

October 18, 2010

If you have the chance check out Doximity, the latest player on the physician social stage.  Doximity appeared two weeks ago with a soft, ever-so-quiet launch that garnered over a 1,000 physicians during its first live week.  Doximity offers clinicians a secure communications network with a complete directory of pharmacies, hospitals, and MDs.

At Doximity’s core is a rich, LinkedIn-like profile that allows doctors to create a professional picture of who they are and where they’ve been.  Once the profile is built out you can search out colleagues and medical school classmates.  Registration’s a snap and the UI is clean.  Perhaps the most memorable point of registering with Doximity was the feeling I had after seeing all my medical school classmates listed in front of me.  I’ll better be able to comment on this relational functionality once my classmates find their way onto the network.

Doximity launched with a well-designed iPhone app.  Perhaps its coolest feature is a HIPAA-compliant, encrypted SMS messaging system that allows quick interaction between providers.

With any physician network the question is what is it that’s going to bring the doctor back?  What value does the site hold that will make them feel compelled to sign in again and again?  While Doximity may see its strength as point-of-care doctor-to-doctor communication I think that their profile alone could hold real promise.  It’s amazing to think that up until this point I have had no way to formally present my medical self and no easy way to reliably view up-to-date biographicals on my colleagues and medical school classmates.

While they’re off to a solid start, Doximity’s success will depend on the value-added features that it ultimately chooses to adopt.  And while the encrypted SMS feature on their iPhone app is cool, we’ll have to see if this is enough to give the product real traction among a population of fickle late adopters.

Doximity is the brainchild of Jeff Tangney, the founder of ePocrates.  While it may be presumptuous to suggest he has the Midas touch, it’s safe to say he knows what he’s doing.

If you’re a physician, go to Doximity and claim your space.  You can connect with me for starts.

Check out this exclusive interview with Doximity CEO Jeff Tangney on iMedicalApps.

Anne Marie Cunningham October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Oh- you forgot to mention that US docs only!
Thanks anyway,
AM

DrV October 18, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Oops. Pardon my ethnocentric thinking!

Anne Marie Cunningham October 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Comes with the territory ;)

DrV October 18, 2010 at 1:31 pm

(mumbling with hand over mouth…)

Wendy Sue Swanson, MD October 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Seems an incredible start. Would enable PCPs to communicate more freely and easily with specialists about patients without the difficulty of different systems/non-secure e-mail/waiting for a return page or clinic call. Only big deterrent I see is that info discussed doesn’t have the capability to go into patient’s chart. In the future, that would be an incredible step (ie forwarding correspondence when relevant) to the chart so all involved in care of a pt were kept up to date.
If functionality increased to connect to charts to communications on mobile devices, curbside consults would/could become official. I suppose the pros and cons of that possibility have to be evaluated…
Thanks, Bryan. We’re indebted to your scouring the planet for new technology to improve care.

Greg Smith MD October 20, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Bryan

I have enjoyed social media thus far in various ways. Blogging is a good way to share thoughts and information. Facebook keeps me in touch with my “real world” friends and family. Twitter is a good source of new information, articles and new ideas. I felt that LinkedIn was a little overkill for me and something that I really did not need to devote precious time to. Do you think that this service will indeed be worth the time and effort? I am really trying to pay attention to how much time I devote to writing, listening to blogs, listening to audiobooks, catching up on podcasts, and …..oh……yeah……going to work to see actual patients! I always enjoy your insights and appreciate your thoughts.

Greg

DrV October 26, 2010 at 5:19 pm

You gave me an idea for a new post. Thank you.

Nicole Kidd October 21, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hi there, interesting post and comments. Thank you.
“If you’re a physician, go to Doximity and claim your space” -I’m not an MD but I do know a few MDs who were very reluctant to embrace LinkedIn and are now glad they did. A friend of mine did a little experiment:
“I just did a LinkedIn search of people with the words doctor or health in their title and narrowed it just to people in the hospital, health, mental health and medical care industries, and got 144k doctors on LinkedIn. Then he included “physician” in the keyword search: you get 812k results. Much like with doximity -you can “control” your profile and affiliations with LinkedIn. No, I don’t work for LinkedIn;-)) and I’ll be interested in learning how Doximity develops. My 2 cents, Nicole

Marc Lawrence MD October 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm

How did you do this? I just searched for “Physician” in US on LinkedIn and got 40k. And this search seems to include a lot of Physician Assts, office staff, recruiters, etc.
I haven’t found LinkedIn to be that useful. I’m sure it’s great for corporate/sales types, but it’s not designed for secure medical use.

Derwin October 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm

@nicole – I agree with Mr. Lawrence, Linkedin is filled with all kinds of users that might be related to the healthcare industry, but not necessarily physicians. Anyone can say they are a doctor because they don’t verify users as such. Same with Facebook. I don’t want drug reps or patients sending me messages. From what I’ve seen, Doximity verifies MDs which gives me much more trust in their network, something I don’t find with Facebook, Linkedin, or any other network out there.

DrV October 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I’d really like to get a straight answer on the physician-in-LinkedIn question but I suspect the numbers are relatively sparse. I have seen an uptick locally within my own institution (Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital) of folks registering. But still rare.

Honestly I think that this potentially represents a huge opp for LinkedIn but I’m not sure they would know what to do with the docs once they had ‘em. Doximity or equivalent network can take it to the next level and offer other social services specific to docs.

Joe Stirt M.D. aka bookofjoe November 11, 2010 at 10:11 am