Why I Don’t Like Scoopit Links on Twitter

March 2, 2014

imgresI’m seeing more Scoopit links in my Twitter stream and I’m not crazy about it.  Sure it’s quick and easy to share with Scoopit.  But it not quick and easy to consume.

For me it’s all about the economy of my workflow and attention.  Thinking I’m about to read something only to be forced somewhere else is cumulatively exhausting.

Ditto for those PR agency filter farms that scrape names, titles and a little bit about other people’s content so that they can hammer social feeds and drag you through their site to get to an interesting story.

I’m a huge fan of Scoopit.  Connect me to your curated collections.  But if it’s a story you want me to see, just show me to the story.

You can disagree with me ‘til the cows come home.  But remember that your audience is always right.

Joseph Babaian March 2, 2014 at 10:59 am

Bryan,

I agree completely in this regard. I see the value in the service Scoopit can provide, but its implementation and real-world use is often not very good. Curated collections that are cogent to our interests are always worth our time and, often, Scoopit leads me to these. For single stories, I don’t bother navigating the Scoopit link and interface, it’s just not worth my time.

Perhaps people are just not using Scoopit the right way and could use some guidance. In any case, efficiency of both my workflow and attention matter most to me – this is the same reason we both like Buffer when used appropriately! It makes things more engaged, remains simple to use, and allows us to enjoy what we do.

Best,

Joe Babaian
Houston

Mighty Casey March 2, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Think like a publisher, not like an advertiser, when curating content.

I realize that for those who don’t have a background in media that might sound like hair-splitting, but anyone who’s spent time in the publishing or broadcasting trenches knows there’s a pretty hard wall, still, between selling soap and reporting on chemical spills related to soap manufacturing.

Bottom line, remember who your audience is, and give them stuff they need to see. They’ll tell you if you’re missing the mark …

Joe Rizzo March 6, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Dr. Vartabedian,

Mindless scraping and scooping serves no one: it’s just a different way of aggregating and distributing existing content.

The difference is the value-add, i.e., bringing some additional value to the reader so that time is saved, not lost.

Our Scoop.it effort focuses on delivering the top 10-12 marketing technology article SUMMARIES to our readers. Our value add? Identifying the top articles of the day, summarizing them, and delivering the summaries to the audience so that they can benefit from a quick read. If so desired, they can click right through to the full article.

Value-add is the differentiator, and in our case, saving our readers time and effort.

And THEN distributing that content via T, FB, LI, G+, etc.

Martin Smith March 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Appreciate Bryan’s and Joseph’s comment, but I rarely use Scoop.it as a pass through. More than 90% of the time I’m adding “rich snippets” to content I Scoop.

Rich snippets are “blog” posts that fall between Twitter and the 500 to 1,000 words I would write in Scenttrail Marketing. I often create orginal content ON Scoop.it because whatever I’m writing falls in the crack between Twitter’s micro blog and what I think of as needing to be on my marketing blog.

I was taught NOT to pass through links on Scoop.it early on by the great curator Robin Good. Robin has well over 1M views on Scoop.it now and his advice along with the patient advice of other great Scoop.it curators has my profile slouching toward 150,000 views.

Bryan is correct that some curators new to Scoop.it haven’t learned the Robin Good lesson yet. I agree it is frustrating to go to a link and not receive anything of value back, to simply need to click on another link. Curators who pass through links won’t scale, so the Darwinian impact will be they will learn to add value or die out.

For my part I always identify my Scoop.it links, probably about half the content I Tweet and about a quarter of my G+ shares. I also routinely share my favorite “Scoopiteers”, great content curators who taught me valuable lessons such as don’t simply pass through links but add “micro blogging” value via rich snippets.

When you follow or consistently share content from a great curator on Scooop.it you begin to understand HOW they shape the subjects they curate. I know, for example, Robin Good is amazing on new tools. Scoop.it anticipated this learning and built in a feature where I can suggest something to Robin.

This is when Scoop.it is at its most crowdsourcing best because I now have an army of curators who know I like to comment on and share content about design or BI or startups and they (other Scoopiteers) keep an eye out for me. There are several reasons Scoop.it is a “get more with less effort” tool and this crowdsourcing my curation is high on the list.

So, sorry you are sad to see Scoop.it links and understand your frustration. You’ve correctly identified the problem too – some curators don’t know how to use the tool yet. I know it is a lot to ask to wait for the Darwinian learning that will take place over generations, but Scoop.it and the web have “generations” that have the half life of a gnat so trust that the richness of the Scoop.it community will win in the end and “the end” won’t take long.

To my fellow Scoop.it curators we owe Bryan and Joseph thanks for reminding us of what Robin Good taught me – add value or your Scoop.it won’t scale. That lessons is applicable to much more than how we use Scoop.it.

Marty

Ileane March 8, 2014 at 7:12 am

Hi Bryan, I curate a lot of YouTube videos, including a topic board I have on YouTube tutorials. The vast majority of the time when I share using a Scoop.it link it’s for a YouTube video. I actually think this is a better viewing experience for my followers so that they are focused on the one specific video. I’m curious to know what your thoughts are on this strategy.

Thanks.

Thabo M0phiring March 8, 2014 at 9:09 am

I have had this comment before from people complaining about my scoop.it links and the extra step.
I am not a business, just a person curating articles on social justice.

Scoop.it works for me because it is easy. Its Android App is a dog show though. I share what I find so like minded people can save time finding the articles. An extra click compared to effort of search is not a problem.

I have also found that people generally moan but have no intention of reading the articles. I use Buffer in conjunction with scoop.it and share sentences/paragraphs from articles that give gist of argument. The gist tweets are RT’d the scoop.it link is still rarely clicked.

PDFs/Articles are where knowledge goes to die, my value add as curator is not about providing fastest click service but spreading knowledge. Those who are really interested click. the others comment/RT and move on.

It really comes down to the aim of the curation.