Medical Leaders will Think Out Loud

April 10, 2014

Leaders think 33charts

The public space is where knowledge, information and conversation now collide.  It’s where we should be.  The evolution of our profession in a networked world must involve attention to how we think and share in the great wide open.

In fact, a defining feature of a leader in the digital age will be the capacity and will to look beyond what they can see and touch.

(This is my first stab at a graphiquote (not sure what you call this…just made it up).  We’ll see how it takes.  Feel free to share and share alike.)

Joseph Babaian April 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

The short, sweet, and cogent quote is perfect – a thought provoking way to call out to everyone in the healthcare space – from leaders, to clinicians, to patients, to all involved in sharing ideas and making a difference.

Many feel we share in the currency of data. Data is a tool that should be used to support the true currency, that of ideas analyzed and grown into goals and real change. Ideas are the first step on the road to action; the true leader knows how to nurture the flow of ideas and tease out the ones that can be turned into concrete action. Small steps to paradigm changes, new ideas underlie all change.

Best, Joseph Babaian

DrV April 10, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Beautiful, Joseph. We need to make ur comment into a graphiquote.

Joseph Babaian April 10, 2014 at 1:14 pm

You’re most welcome! I like the use of quotes and infographics when they add value – meaning: cogent & useful. People are so often visual learners, why do we insist on making them read paragraphs? Well, it’s the way we have always done it.

Using the tools at hand, we can get these ideas out, shared, morphed, and eventually used to drive changes. I’m always thinking of the end game that can see some of this work put into practice vs. just finding people nodding along in agreement.

Joseph

DrV April 10, 2014 at 1:19 pm

In a busy information world I think these focused micromessages may carry well in their own way.

Joseph Babaian April 10, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Bryan,

Thanks for the support. You inspired me to create this graphiquote:

Small messages do work. The mentality of short and sweet yet relevant and impactful can serve us well.

Joseph

DrV April 10, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Man….you are a quick study. Well done.

Peter Elias, MD April 10, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Even in the ‘private’ space of the exam room and during the one-on-one collaborative problem solving with the patient, I firmly believe that clinicians should be ‘thinking out loud’ about what they are doing. This isn’t just the best way to stay on the same page with our patients, it is really the ONLY way.

It is even more useful if one documents this ‘public’ sharing of ideas in the office visit note in a way that the patient can verify that they understand and agree (or correct/add/suggest changes if appropriate) and send them home with a copy to review.

DrV April 10, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Brilliant translation of public thinking. Not how I was looking at it but fits nicely. Thanks.

Joy Rios April 16, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Hi Dr. V!

Your graphiquote has a name – it’ called a Meme. And they’re especially popular on social media. Anyway, just stopping by to say nice job!

Saroj Misra May 1, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Great example – ironically, I’ve been quoting you for the last year in a talk I give on social media in medicine (and residency training). I made my own ‘graphic quote’ for your quote and would be happy to send it to you if you’d like:-).