Jenni Prokopy (aka Chronicbabe) put us to the challenge for this week’s Grand Rounds by asking for our 2011 clinical resolutions. I have to admit that I’m not one for resolutions because I can never take them seriously. But admittedly there are things that I need to tighten up. So here goes:
1. Clear my chart rack every afternoon. This is key because my creative mind operates better when my charts are done. Of course this means no more tweeting “47 charts” or “33 charts” when I’m behind. Had I made this resolution for 2009 this blog wouldn’t have a name.
2. Cultivate innovative communication channels with my referring docs. While I need to be consistent and compulsive with my referral letters, I want to improve mobile, real-time communications between me and my referring docs. For example I’d like to get my local community on Doximity so that I can launch a quick, HIPAA compliant, encrypted SMS messages on my iPhone the second I see a patient.
3. Take my whiteboards to a new level. I love my whiteboards. Maybe I’ll get one of those digital whiteboards that attach to my workstation and allow my brainstorming to be part of the record. Perhaps I’ll formalize the use of digital pictures that could be emailed to patients as a value added service. I’d like to see a whiteboard placed and used in every Texas Children’s Hospital exam room. I could even offer whiteboard boot camp for doctors (mind racing).
4. Call back endoscopy biopsy results faster. I can never do this too fast.
5. Create more digital content geared to parents. I used to write for parents. Now I write for social health wonks. I need to get back to my roots and create some content for parents again. I plan to do that through the Medicine | Milestones | Miracles, Texas Children’s Hospital blog. The challenge: so much content to create, so little time.
Real insight can be tricky. Thanks to Jenni for prompting me to look at my clinical habits a little closer. I’ll think of more between now and December 31st and I’ll post them to the comments.
Image via Double J Design